Submission guidelines for the Fermilab Photowalk contest
After your Photowalk at Fermilab, you’ll have the chance to submit some of your images for our photo contest. A panel of Fermilab judges will determine a shortlist of 10 winners, which will then be uploaded to our website and placed on display in Wilson Hall.
Additionally, Fermilab will forward the top five photos, as judged by that same panel, to the global photo competition held by the particle physics website Interactions.org. Here are the rules for submitting photos to this competition:
- To participate in the photo contest, you must fill out and sign a photo release form at the Fermilab Photowalk on Sept. 26, 2015.
- You may submit up to five images to be judged. All images must have been taken during the Fermilab Photowalk on Sept. 26, 2015.
- All images must be submitted by noon CDT on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015.
- All images must be submitted in digital format, either online or by sending a CD or DVD. No hard copy prints will be accepted for judging.
- Files can be color or grayscale. Final files can be either unaltered or altered in photo editing programs as long as all original image material was gathered with a camera the day of the Photowalk event at Fermilab. Photographers should retain all original images in case proof of source material is required by the judges.
- File format must be JPEG, with file size not to exceed 20 MB for each image. File size and resolution must be large enough that Fermilab can produce 8x10-inch prints for an exhibit of the winning photos. Specifically, we require at least 2,500 pixels in the long dimension.
- Files must be named in the following way: last name of photographer, followed by an underscore, followed by the first name, followed by an underscore, followed by a two-digit sequence number starting with 01. Examples for photographer John Smith: smith_john_01, smith_john_02, etc.
- Create a Word or text file with your contact information, named in one of the following ways: smith_john_contact.doc or smith_john_contact.txt. Please include your name, address and daytime phone number.
- All submitted files must be placed in a single folder titled with the photographer’s last name followed by an underscore and the first name. Example: smith_john.
Files can be uploaded to the Fermilab FTP site or sent to Fermilab on CD or DVD. We will provide the Fermilab FTP dropbox address at the event on Sept. 26. Alternatively, CDs and DVDs can be dropped off or sent to the Fermilab Visual Media Services Department, located on the ground floor of the west side of Wilson Hall. The shipping/mailing address is:
Fermilab Visual Media Services
Kirk and Wilson Street
PO Box 500, MS 202
Batavia IL 60510
Winners of the local Fermilab photo contest will be notified in late October. The top three photos from Fermilab and the other laboratories will be sent to the global Interactions contest in November. Winners of the global contest will be announced in December.