1. In most cases, the first person you should talk to about an ES&H matter is your _________.
a. senior safety officer
d. division/section head
Unless your supervisor is the source of the problem, they are typically the first place to go for help with work-related issues. Specific ES&H responsibilities are described in FESHM 1030
2. Fermilab's emergency phone number is ________.
This phone number is included in most ES&H training. If you are uncertain whether or not a call to the Lab's emergency number is warranted, it is preferable to err on the side of safety and place the call. Stay on the line so you can provide the dispatcher with additional information. Know your location so responders know where they need to go.
3. The primary cause of occupational injuries at Fermilab is _________.
a. acts of nature
Although conditions tend to be the focus of walkthrough inspections, it is behaviors that are the primary cause of occupational injuries, at Fermilab and everywhere else. Inattention or the taking of calculated risks are the common culprits.
4. Who is authorized to stop work at Fermilab due to an ES&H problem?
a. The Lab Director
b. The supervisor of the work being done
c. Any senior safety officer
d. Anyone doing work at the Lab
Any person working at Fermilab who discovers an activity that they believe poses an imminent threat to the safety and health of individuals or to the quality of the environment shall immediately request termination of that activity. Specific ES&H responsibilities are described in FESHM 1030
5.The most common type of emergency response at Fermilab involves a __________.
a. fire alarm
b. work injury
c. severe weather warning
d. loss of beam
On average, the Fermilab Fire Department makes a "run" about once every calendar day. The majority of these are associated with fire alarms.
6. Fermilab was inspected by OSHA in 03/2004. The most common type of finding involved __________ hazards.
More than half of the 1611 findings were associated with Subpart S - Electrical of 29CFR1910. Most of these involved improper use of relocatable power taps, flexible wiring for fixed equipment (SO cord in Accelerator Division) and blocked electrical panels. Eighty-nine percent of the findings have were closed out by the end of FY2005.
7. Fermilab's waste minimization/pollution prevention program is anchored by the following tenets:
a. collect, recover and sell
b. location, location, location
c. minimize and prevent release
d. reduce, reuse and recycle
Fermilab's waste minimization/pollution prevention program is described in FESHM 8022. Its concepts are embedded into all aspects of research and operations and are an integral part of the Environmental Management System at the Lab.
8. Fermilab uses an electronic form referred to as the __________ in order to match ES&H training requirements to work exposures.
The ITNA or "Individual Training Needs Assessment" is used to assist identification of the compliance-related training required for each employee. It is available from the page.