The Science Management System is a set of processes to assure that the Laboratory carries out the scientific mission. This includes:
- development, establishment and execution of the scientific strategy (research, operations, future projects and technology developments)
- regular assessment of progress towards achieving the plan.
|Chief Research Officer (CRO):
- Establishes and executes the scientific strategy that enables the most powerful attack on the fundamental science questions of the field of particle physics, provides world class facilities, and develops science and technology for particle physics.
- Engages the particle physics community in the strategic planning process and communicates the strategy with the scientific community.
|Associate Laboratory Director for Accelerators:
- Provides oversight and management for all Fermilab accelerator operations, accelerator R&D, accelerator technology development, and construction support for accelerator facilities.
- Ensures that the Accelerator Sector is well aligned with the ongoing scientific mission of the laboratory, and is effectively organized and managed in support of this mission.
|Associate Laboratory Director for Particle Physics:
- Provides oversight and management of all aspects of the research program at Fermilab.
- Ensures that the Particle Physics Research Sector is well aligned with the ongoing scientific mission of the laboratory, and is effectively organized and managed in support of this mission.
|Associate Laboratory Director for Computing:
- Provides oversight and management for all Fermilab computing operations, R&D and technology development.
- Ensures that the Computing Sector is well aligned with the ongoing scientific mission of the laboratory, and is effectively organized and managed in support of this mission.
|Head, Office of Program and Project Support:
- Provides integrated information to support establishment and execution of the strategic plan.
The Science Management System:
Establishes the long-term strategic plan via:
Executes the strategic plan via:
- Direction from Associate Laboratory Directors
- Planning, design, resource management, and construction of accelerator, detector, and computing facilities for experiments
- Operation of facilities to collect and analyze data and to publish results.
Assesses the progress of the strategic plan.
Improves documentation of systems, integrating a variety of procedures into a coherent system.
C.4.2.A.1 Laboratory Goals
C.4.2.A.c (add label)
H.16 Intellectual and Scientific Freedom
I.83 Technical Direction
J appendix B PEMP
Quality Assurance Guidelines for Scientific Research
Procedures for Experimenters
Advisory Committees to Oversee the Plan and Progress:
FRA Board Committees and Subcommittee Oversight (e.g., Physics Committee and Science Planning Committee)
- Reviews of progress on future projects
Frequent Meetings with Stakeholders
- DOE OHEP management, DOE Program Managers, and FNAL line management